I just submitted my admissions application to Fresno State for the Credential Program. I waited until the last minute....yes, applications are due by tomorrow. Am I nuts? I am a professional student I think.
So, why do I want to get my credential?
10. Summers Off
9. Christmas Off
8. Other Holidays Off
7. Same schedule as my hubby
6. Same schedule as my kids
5. Got to do something???
4. Decent Pay
3. Will not take me that long...some classes and student teaching
2. Do not want to work at Federico's forever
1. I do not want to work when my hubby and kids have the summer off. Who wants to be stuck at work when your entire family is playing....not me!
Update:
For those who do not know....I am a dibble dabbler. I am my fathers daughter. He has been a fireman, police man, pastor, teacher, in the Air Force etc...I just have that in me. I just can't make up my mind and I will probably never settle on one career. I am going to drive and do drive my hubby crazy! This probably will not be the last time I go back to school and I am okay with that.
8 comments:
Sounds like a good plan to me. If you are going to work, you might as well have the same schedule as your family!
Good luck!
But what will you do with your kiddos? Or will you wait until they are in school, too before you start teaching?
I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't ask...and tell you this:
My mom went to night school to get her credential. She'd pick me up from school, cook dinner, and then leave for class. One of the things I remember most is her always being in a rush...and not being home at night with me.
BUT...if you have it all worked out and you feel that God is calling you to this, then you should do it. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just giving you the kid's perspective from someone who lived it. If you can stay home until your kids go to school and then go to school yourself while they aren't home anyway...well, that would just be my choice. But like I said, if you feel that God is calling you to that, then you should obey God. No question.
I would not teach full time until the kids are school aged. I also would go to school during the day when my mom could watch them. Also, my sister teaches a 40% contract and works Mon.-Thur. from 8am-12pm, and I have another friend that teaches M-F from 8am-10am. So I am looking at doing that.
My dad went to seminary and got his teaching credential when we were growing up and I never felt that was an issue with us. We also had my grandma's and family around.
I just don't like where I am now job wise and I do not like doing nails, so working in a salon is out of the question and with my credentials right now I would have to work full-time in what my major is in. So long story short....I will take it one step at a time.
Thanks for your concern Carrie!!!
testing...just lost a LONG comment I tried to send
Ugh, it's working now. I'm Kim's partner at Viking. Great job. However, I'd highly recommend you come by and observe us (and our fellow tutors) AND do a few days of subbing before you invest time and money into the credential program. You're welcome anytime!
P.S. I'm planning a kitchen remodel too and am enjoying your stories as well as your recipes. Thanks for sharing!
Vikki
We are all students of life and your job (be it motherhood, teaching, doing nails, etc.) is a big portion of your life. If you are not happy with what you do as a career than that can put a huge damper on your quality of life perspective! So I say, give it a go, but there is no shame in being a mother & house wife as well! How great a husband you have that he is supporting you, even if it's half-heartedly. Some would just say no! Good luck and keep us posted!
I would love to stay home, but it would be financially too difficult for that to happen.
Post a Comment