1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
8 plum tomatoes
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp dark molasses
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tsp cayan pepper
1 tsp paprika
salt to taste
1. Heat some canola or vegetable oil in a large sauce pan. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Slice all of the tomatoes, taking out the seeds and add them to the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes until the tomatoes break down. When I do not have the time for that I use 2 cans of diced tomatoes, draining the liquid.
2. Add all of the other ingredients and simmer for another 20 minutes. Take off the heat and cool. Once cool, blend in a blender or food processor. It is that easy and it is very good. It is a little spicy, so if you do not like spicy, add less cayan pepper.
If I am using meaty ribs, I put them in the slow cooker with half of the sauce and keep the rest for serving with the ribs. If I am using baby back ribs I cook them in the oven on 375 degrees for 2 hours with the BBQ sauce and for the last 15 minutes I put them on the grill to get the BBQ flavor and texture.
Just a note: I always take a recipe and make it my own. If you do not like a certain seasoning, take it out or use less. I do this all of the time. By the third time making it I usually have it to our liking. Sometimes I will just use what I have in the cabinet and at times will be pleasantly surprised. Yes, I have had some bad ones too. It is fun to play with food!
2 comments:
O.K.........so now I am craving ribs. Thanks Lora! I will have to try this sauce out myself. I have never done ribs before, but always wanted to. We will see how mine turn out :)
Hey Jessica....give it a go. If you are using baby backs, make sure you turn them in the oven once and cover with foil. Also, do not put more sauce on them before putting them on the grill. Put the sauce on after so they will not burn on the grill. Now I want baby back ribs....guess I will have to buy some at the store today.
Post a Comment