Time: 20 minutes prep 20 minutes bake
Feeds: 6 people
Last night I was watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay on the Food Network (yes, I watch that channel a lot) and they were making chicken pot pies. I have been in the mood for fall and thought that would be a good fall type meal. What made it interesting was they used puffed pastry for the top of the chicken pot pie, how easy is that!
This is what it looks like after it bakes. Nice and puffy and golden brown.
I put chicken, potatoes, onions, peas, carrots and seasonings in the filling.
As you can see, it was a hit.
Recipe:
1 rotesserie chicken from the store ($4.99 at Costco)
3 potatoes
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
frozen peas and carrots mix (1/2 bag)
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp olive oil
1 egg
2 sheets of puff pastry
1. Shred your chicken and put it to the side. Cut up your potatoes (small cubes), onions and garlic and heat a skillet with olive oil. Sautee the onions for a couple of minutes, add the potatoes and garlic. Add salt and pepper. Cook on medium high heat until the potatoes are tender (not soft).
2. Add the chicken to the mix with the peas and carrots and warm through. Add the cream, milk and seasonings and bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Unroll your puff pastry (make sure you thaw it out for atleast 40 minutes). Put an egg in a bowl and add some water to make an egg wash and set aside.
4. Spoon the chicken filling into a 9 X 13 pan. Add some egg wash around the outside of the puff pastry and put that side down on top of the filling. On the top, brush the entire pastry with the egg wash.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. So easy and good!
3 comments:
That looks delicious! I have seen the food network use puff pastry and I have been wanting to try it myself. Me and my hubby love pot pies! By the way.....your dish looks huge. What size is it?
I used a 9 X 13 pan or if you are talking about my plates, they are regular size plates.
oooohhh...I love it!
Post a Comment