Thursday, June 10, 2010

Homemade yogurt

This was really easy to make. It just takes a day and a half to make it but mostly it is just sitting in your slow cooker or frig.

I filled 2 ice trays with plain yogurt for smoothie packs for the mornings. I love the Yoplait packs, but this is cheaper and I know there is no added sugar etc...in it.
Just cut up what ever fruit you like or is in season. Once the yogurt freezes I will add 6 cubes to a smoothie pack.

Here you can see the fruit and yogurt.

Recipe:
8 cups milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt/live culture
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk (thickening agent)

Place 8 cups of milk in a slow cooker and set on low for 2 1/2 hours. After the 2 1/2 hours are up, unplug the slow cooker and let it sit there for 3 hours. After 3 hours take out 2 cups warm milk and stir in the yogurt and dry milk. Pour that back into the slow cooker and cover. Take 2 heavy towels and cover the slow cooker (unplugged)for 8 hours or overnight. The next morning take a large bowl and colander with cheese cloth and pour the yogurt into the cheese cloth lined colander. Let it sit in the frig for 2-3 hours until it thickens. Keep the whey and add to different foods. Go HERE to see uses for whey.

You can add fruit in it or I am going to try it next time with sugar free vanilla pudding mix.

No comments: