Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tonight's dinner was a flop!

Yes, it was meatless Tuesday and I had all these wonderful (what I thought would be great) sides planned out. First it was zucchini fritters. The recipe called for dill and I like dill, though I should have known the kids would hate it and also hubby. I have to say the dill in the zucchini fritters was not a good combination.

Second, the green beans would have been great, but the recipe called for toasted cinnamon and I thought either we would love it or hate it....yeap....hated it! I am going to make them again but I am going to add garlic instead of cinnamon. It was a pretty easy recipe and I will post it how I am going to make it next time.

We ended up eating the roasted red potatoes and bread for dinner and I sliced up a watermelon too. A lot of work for most of it going into the garbage, but hey you have to try new things every now and then. We are looking forward to carnitas tomorrow night! It is marinating in the frig already.

Green Bean Recipe:

1 lb green beans
4 Shallots
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
Olive oil
Flour
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil your green beans until tender 6-8 minutes and drain.
2. Thinly slice your shallots and place in a bowl with milk or buttermilk, whatever you have on hand and season with salt and pepper (you are going to deep fry them).
3. Heat up in a sauce pan and place the shallots that have been sitting in the milk into a bag of seasoned flour. Deep fry until golden brown and place on a paper towel to drain.
4. Once the green beans are done, place them back into the skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil and add the garlic and saute for a couple of minutes adding salt to taste. Stir in the 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and toss.
5. Serve the green beans with crunchy shallots on top.

No comments: