Friday, June 26, 2009

Cream Cake with Berries

This is a simple, not too sweet cake that is great with any type of berries.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups of whipping cream (1 pint)
2 large eggs
berries
(I think I am going to try adding lemon zest to the next cake I bake)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, 1 1/2 cups of cream, and eggs until smooth, creamy and quite thick. (I accidently put in the 2 1/2 cups of cream and baked it a little longer and it was moist and good).

2. Pour batter into the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-45 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

3. In a bowl toss what kind of berries you like with sugar and let stand for 20 minutes. Tonight I used raspberries and ollaliberries. Strawberries would be good too. Serve cake topped with berries and whipped cream.

Homemade whipped cream

Use the rest of the whipping cream and place it in a chilled stainless bowl. Start mixing on high speed. Add about 1 tsp of vanilla and powdered sugar. Taste cream, start adding 1/2 cup powdered sugar, if you need more, add more. Beat until it forms a peak.

No comments: