Monday, June 8, 2009

Blackened Salmon

I made this tonight and it was so good. I found the recipe off the internet and added a little twist.

Rub
2 tbs paprika
1 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs Onion powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano

Salmon Filets 4 for this recipe. I made 2 and cut the recipe in half.

I melted 1/2 stick of butter with one juice of a lemon. Before adding the rub I drizzled the lemon butter onto the salmon on both sides. Add rub generously to salmon. It has a little kick to it with a great flavor. Heat a non-stick pan add a little Pam. Make sure the pan is nice and hot before putting the salmon in. Place the salmon in and let it get a nice crust before turning. Once turned I added a little more lemon butter to the pan until the salmon was flaky and moist. I added a little more lemon butter on the top once plated.

I served the salmon with garlic and chive smashed potatoes and green beans.

Garlic and chive smashed potatoes

8 yukon gold potatoes cut into quarters
Boil the potatoes until fork tender
Drain and put back on stove to let the rest of the moisture out
In a small pan or microwaveable bowl, add 1/2 stick butter, 2 minced cloves of garlic and 3/4 cup of milk. Heat until butter is melted and you can smell the butter. Not too hot, you do not want to burn the garlic or milk.
Add mixture to the potatoes and smash with a smasher. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Stir in the desired amount of chives.

Green Beans

I only use fresh green beans, that is what we like
Blanch green beans in boiling water for 5-7 minutes and drain
Add a little olive oil to the pan and sautee 1/2 of a medium white onion to carmelize (about 10 minutes). Add 2 cloves of garlic salt and pepper with a splash of soy sauce. Add the green beans back into the pan and fold the onions through the green beans. To add a little kick add a dash of cayenne pepper and white pepper. At the end I add some mushrooms.

I know, I do not write recipes well. I just kind of throw things in and taste until I am happy with the outcome.

No comments: