Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Grandma Brown

If you have not heard, my Grandma past away yesterday. It was not unexpected and she did not suffer which was an answer to our prayers.

My Grandma Brown was going to be 92 years old on November 30th. She was born during WWI. Wow, to think of it like that. Imagine what she saw through all of those years! She was from Missouri and moved to Sanger, Ca. before my dad was born. We were always close to our grandparents. My grandma and grandpa had 6 children, 4 girls and 2 boys, which my dad is the only living son with 4 sisters and they are loud! They had 11 grandchildren and I think Allie made 26 great grandchildren. My Grandma Brown was the last living grandparent.

My memories of my grandma. She loved to be rubbed. She would get me, my sister and 2 cousins to rub her hands, feet and back. If we would rub her for 30 minutes to an hour she would take us somewhere fun or pay us. And yes, I come from a long line of people who likes rubs....my dad, me and now Sam and Allie. She was also my lunch buddy. During my early teen years we went out to lunch atleast once a month after church. Most of the time it was me and her, sometimes my grandpa and at times my sister. She always called me her lunch buddy. One last memory I have is going into her bathroom and getting into her costume jewelry and trying it all on. I wonder what she thought I was doing in her bathroom for such a long time. I am sure she knows. And no, I did not get my cooking skills from her! We always made a joke of eating dinner before going to grandma's. You may get served taco casserole and as my sister and I called it, "worm spaghetti." And that was may have been served together. We loved you anyways!

My grandma was a strong Christian woman. Even in her last months not being able to go to church, she still knew when Sunday was and always said how good God was to her! She always had a sparkle in her eye and a smile on her face. She also had the strongest hands. The last time I saw her, she was laying there weak in her bed, but her grip was still there.

I will miss my grandma and regret not seeing her the last couple of months. I thought I would see her next week for her Birthday, at our families womens luncheon and Christmas. She knew that she was loved and always had family around her. I think she waited to die so that everyone had enough time to come and visit her.

Going into Thanksgiving and Christmas I am thankful for the family that I have and the family that I was born into. I am a very lucky person to have such a close and God fearing family. God is good! See you in heaven Grandma!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, Lora. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never hard to lose family, but even harder when you were so close to them.

Praise God for the promise of heaven knowing we'll see those we've loved again.

Jonna said...

Your memories of her make me cry, you know how sentimental I can be! She sounds like such an amazing woman and how lucky you are to have had her for a Grandma. And I'm sure she felt lucky to have you for her "Lunch Buddy" too.

Anonymous said...

she lived such an amazing and full life. i dont think she missed out on anything! i remember her loud laugh and loving to give hugs and hold hands! i will be at the funeral monday.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you & your family Lora! Please let me know if you need anything. You have been so sweet to me during this time in my life, it's the least I could do for you!