Friday, January 27, 2012

Beef Brisket

I started out with a 6 1/2lb. beef brisket which was way too much for our family of four. When I got it home I patted it dry with a paper towel and cut it in half (froze half for another time). I put salt and pepper all over and browned the meat on both sides in my dutch oven.
Chili sauce for the brisket.
Recipe:
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped, 1 onion chopped, 2 cans diced or whole tomatoes (or 5 Roma tomatoes), 2 tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/4 tsp chili flakes. Place in a pan and bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 25 minutes. Puree in a blender, add it back to the pan and let it reduce for 25 minutes more.
 
  • Once the chili sauce was ready, I added 1 large leek chopped, 1 onion chopped, 2 shallots cut into quarters, carrots and four stalks of celery cut into thirds. I mixed 3/4 cup of chili sauce with 1/3 cup beef broth and poured it over the brisket. Place in the oven (with lid) on 350 degrees.
  •  
  • Baste every 30 minutes with the liquids in the pan for 2 hours.
  •  
  • After 2 hours add 12 oz. of a pale ale beer. Baste every 30 minutes for another 1 1/2 hours.
  •  
  • Take the brisket out of the oven and let it rest for 1 hour. After 1 hour take the brisket out of the pan and place onto a cutting board. Take the layer of fat off using a fork.
  • Take the veggies out of the pan and puree them in a food processor. Before adding the veggie puree back into the pan, skim the fat off the top of the juices then add the veggie puree back into the pan. Simmer until heated through.
Cut thin slices of brisket against the grain. I added the meat into the sauce until I was ready to serve. When I served the meat I added some of the chili sauce on top of the brisket and served it with mashed potatoes and green beans. I will use the left over meat for this recipe this coming week.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: