I have made 3 different batches of biscuits lately trying to find one that we really like. I have made some with whole wheat (which was okay) and some without buttermilk. Buttermilk biscuits are the best and I came across this recipe in The Food Network Magazine from Bobby Flay. I made them for brunch today after church (since we got out early because of the fire alarm).
This is a simple recipe:
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp fine salt
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces plus 4 tbsp melted
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients and cut in cold butter using a pasty cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the buttermilk and mix gently until the mixture comes together.
3. Scrape the dough onto a lightly surfaced flour counter. Pat into a 10-by-12 inch rectangle, about 3/4 inch thick. Use a 2-inch round pastry cutter to cut out biscuits. Press scraps together and repeat.
4. Place the biscuits 2 inches apart on the baking sheet; brush the tops with cream. Bake until golden brown 12-15 minutes. Brush the biscuits with butter and cool slightly.
No comments:
Post a Comment