Monday, October 18, 2010

I actually made dinner!

Butternut squash and chickpea fritters

Pork chops, fritters and green beans


You know how much I like butternut squash and they are finally popping up at Farmer's Market. I came across the recipe in Sunset and added one ingredient to it.

Butternut squash and chickpea fritters Recipe:

8 oz butternut squash
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 tsp fresh chopped sage
2 pieces of whole wheat bread
1 egg
2 tbsp flour
3 pieces bacon (the ingredient I added)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp red chili flakes

1. In a food processor pulse the bread until you make bread crumbs. It is optional to roast the squash, or you can use the pre-cubed squash from the store and put it in the microwave until it is tender. I prefer roasting the squash since it adds more flavor. Cook 3 pieces of bacon and crumble once cooled. Add the squash, chickpeas, egg, flour, sage, bacon and seasonings and mix together until combined.
2. Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a large skillet or use the bacon grease to cook the fritters in until they are golden brown and cooked all the way through.

Pork Chop Recipe:

This was the best pork chops I have had in a long time and it was so simple.

Pork chops
1 tbsp grape seed or olive oil
4 cloves of garlic minced
salt and pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
2 tbsp soy sauce

1. Salt and pepper the pork chops on both sides and put in a Ziploc bag. Add the garlic, oil, soy sauce and thyme. Combine and put in the frig to marinate.
2. A couple hours before dinner I marinated the pork chops and grilled them on the grill until they reached 160 degrees and let them sit until it reached temp. of 165 degrees.

That is it and they were savory and juicy!

My favorite green beans:

Fresh Green beans
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

1. Soften green beans in the microwave or boil for a couple of minutes until softened a bit, but still have a snap to them.
2. On medium heat add sliced onions to the saute pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil and cook until caramelized adding the soy sauce half way through.
3. Add the green beans once the onions are cooked and add the minced garlic, salt, pepper and chili flakes and cook until desired doneness.
4. Taste and season with more salt or pepper.

No comments: